Saturday, January 2, 2010

Changes and a New Year

Hi Everyone! Its been far to long since we have blogged, so I thought I had better give everyone a quick update. I (Dori) can't seem to manage the card reader for photos tonight, so i'll show you the detail of Christmas and New Years in another post. At the momment we are in Illinois enjoying "Christmas" with my parents. I started a job PRN (as needed) job at a local hospital in November, so i spent much of the actually Chistmas holiday/weekend on call or working in the ER. We did manages to squeeze in a day trip to Grandma's house in Nappanee over Chirstmas weekend, which as great.




Its been an emotional week. On Christmas Eve I received a job offer from an insurance company and although its not a job that I would have chosen a few years ago, after much thought and consideration I did accept the position and on monday I resigned from my current position as a consultant for long term care facilities. It was much harder to write my resignation than i ever thought it would be. As a social worker, I have always considered my job to be much more than just a way to earn money. I loved being a consultant and two years ago when i started the job was a great fit. I loved the travel and the constant change and even the chaotic schedule. I love being the person who has the skills and ability to access a situation and then fix the system so that it functions properly. I love being the person who puts out the fire. However, in the last year my life has seen a lot of change. All of it good! But change none the less. Tom has always been supportive of my career and very understanding of my travel, after hours phone calls and last minute schedule changes. However over the last several months it was becoming more and more clear that I am the one who was not OK with the commitment my job takes. As I thought about leaving the job that i always wanted and have loved every minute of for the past two years I realized that its not just the resignation that brings emotion, but the changes in my lifestyle that have brougth the resignation about. My fiance, house and furchildren need me (or at least, they really like when i'm around :) But in reality I am realizing just how much I enjoy the stability that they offer and the life that is promised within the walls of that house and the circle of what has become our tiny family. This is not to say that this transition does not come without complications and frustrations. Blending our different backgrounds and cultures is sometimes automatic and easy, but then at times it is suprisingly difficult. There have been a few times that we have just not been on the same page. Sometimes getting on the same page again means finding a compromise. Other times it means changing an outlook, mindset, perception or lifestyle. Those are a bit harder to figure out. But we do figure it out, because its vital and so worth it.



So thats whats going on in my life and in my head these days. Chistmas blog with pictures to come...
 
~Dori~

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dori,
    Reading this just confirmed what i suspected from the first time tom told me about you over skype chats - that my cousin is a very lucky man indeed! No choice is ever a good or bad one, it just opens up new opportunities and viewpoints that we never knew before. I was terrified when i first made a decision to quit my job and be a full time mum... two years on there are still days when i wonder what the hell i have gone and done, but at the end of the day, benefits always outweigh the cons... god bless you as you embark on your new journey!

    With love,
    Allie

    ReplyDelete