Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Dinner That Wasn't

This weeks goal is to try and use some of the food from our freezer - no need to purchase food when there is yummy stuff in the freezer waiting to be turned into dinner. SO... Monday was chicken ravioli with pesto sauce thanks to Tom. (very tastey) Tuesday was my turn. I decided on Crab Cakes with a sauce i concocted out of plain yogert, dijion mustard, white wine and dill. All leftovers or things we just had on hand. I added some butter, reisling, garlic and old bay seasoning to the frozen soup and preheated the oven. While the oven was heating I put some cloths away and watched some TV, thinking my timing was excellent as Tom was on his way over for dinner. *sniff* *sniff* What is that smell? The oven doesn't usually smell... I looked at the oven and realized there was smoke in my kitchen. But why?? Maybe I accidently turned on a burner and melted something? That seems to be where the smoke is coming from, the back of the stove. Nope, nothing. Stove is off, nothing is melting, flaming or otherwise burning.Theres nothing in the oven. Or is there? I opened the oven door and smoke billowed out. Just a word of wisdom - it is good practice to remove things like pans with drippings from the oven prior to preheating the oven. It was nasty smelling and the kitchen was cloudy. At this point I decided I could either get angry or I could see the humor. So, chuckling, I called Tom and sugested that maybe he would like to take his lovely wife to be out for dinner :)

We decided to try a sushi place just down the street -


Soft Shell Crab Roll

Taco Mexicano Roll
SOOO GOOOD

Eel
Always a favorite, but this was extra good

I was a little disappointed about dinner, but I did manage to make Tuesday's dinner tonight (Wednesday) and it worked out ok. The dijion sauce turned out really well. And since sushi is proabably my favorite food ever, I can't complain that I had to wait a day to serve my meal.
~Dori~

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I keep forgetting to write and ask this, (the suchi looks wonderful by the way)but could you send me a quick email so I have it and then I'll send you our address. We left Luke's three favorite books at your house, as you probably figured out a log time ago. We actually noticed just before we got on the highway to leave Indy, but it was already so late in the day adn Greg was anxious to get on the road so we thought we would just have you send them to us later... That was a mistake, an hour later Luke started asking for the Hello book and was extremely upset when I couldn't get it for him. He is STILL asking for it on a regular basis, this kid has a good memory! So anyway, if you could PRETTY PLEASE send Luke his books he would be oh so happy about it! (-;

    How are the wedding plans coming, send me an email and tell me all about everything!!! Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I need to spell check before I post! I had Luke asking for stuff and was in a bit of a hurry to get it finnished! Suchi??? log??? etc... (-;

    ReplyDelete