Monday, October 12, 2009

House painting and family bonding

As promised, here are a few pictures of the inside of our new home. Thanks to Mom, Dad, Steve and Grammy (I still can't believe that name stuck) our house is becoming a home that represents our personalities. We put in a LOT of work in two days and I am so very thankful my family took time out of their busy lives to help us get started on our redecorating mission! Tom and I went to Lowe's on Wednesday evening and got our first buckets of paint - base coat for the master bedroom, paint for the "formal" living room (there's also a den) and paint for the guest room. On Thursday morning I got up early and headed to Lowe's again, this time to pick up lighting for the kitchen and dining area. Tom had to work so he missed out on a lot of the fun, but hey, we gotta actually pay for the house :) By noon my family arrived and the painting fun began.

There is a leaf blower in my kitchen! (also, it looks like my mother is sitting on my fathers head)


Grandma and mom took one look at the ceilings and declared that a paint job was in order. Steve manned the roller and within two days ALL the ceilings were bright white and clean! In this pic Steve is painting what will be my craft room for scrapbooking, origami, card making and whatever else I end up playing with.


Yes, that's a leaf blower. It's set to vacuum mode and my dad is cleaning out the bathroom vent. He had way to much fun with that (Also, i would like to point out that once the house is painted and we are moved in, no leaf blower will be used as a household appliance! I don't care how much Dad and Tom beg!!)

 
"Thomas, get the camera out of the way before I mask it!"





"Wake up sleepyheads, we gots paintin' to do!"




 Solution to sleepy slaves - provide coffee in large quantities




Ahhh, much better, the work continues with the master bedroom!



More trimming



Grammy is hard at work in the master bedroom. There is a small vanity outside the master bathroom which i am sure i will enjoy. The former owners left me a vanity chair. Its quite gold. Tom's gonna spray paint it black for me so it blends in a little better.



Steve is still painting ceilings




Dad is done with the leaf blower





Trimming the guest room




Guest room, coming along nicely (FYI - that color turned out much darker!)




Lunch time!



Rolling the wall in the formal living room - there was actually a giant paint run exactly where this picture is taken, probably i was making that mistake as the picture is being snapped. I tried blaming it on my mother, but seeing as i was caught on film roller in hand, i was totally busted (oops!)




Formal Living Room - this picture is taken from the entry way of the house
 
Dad is updating the lighting - he is rather proud of his work :) So am I, it looks great!




Our kitchen has become a work station. I can't wait to actually get paint on the walls, stuff moved in and actually live in this space!



Buddy, my parents dog. Hes guarding the steps :)




Steve, paint warrior!

That's it for the pictures! There were a few other really fun things that happened during these two days that we did not manage to catch on film. Tom and I treated the "slaves" to dinner at Kona Jack's (in case anyone is wanting some trivia, that is also where Tom took me on our very first date). It was a wonderful meal and I am very grateful that Tom thought of the location, I couldn't think of anything and we would have settled on a boring chain restaurant had he not thought of that. Also, UPS delivered Tom's laser level and the UPS man said "Is this the Choy residence?" Ok, its a small thing but I grinned like an fool for an hour. And finally, Jen and baby Nolan stopped by to say hi to my family and see the house. It was so fun to have just have someone drop in randomly. Again, a small thing, but a great reminder that we have a home and friends close enough to just make a quick visit. No planning or buzzing in to the building required!

Right now i am in Grand Rapids, MI for work. I miss working on our house and I feel bad because Tom continues to spend his evenings painting and fixing up while i hang out in a hotel room out of state. I am blessed with a fiance who is willing to keep working on stuff, even when he has to do it alone.

~Dori~







4 comments:

  1. don't feel badly, it gives Tom something to do while you are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i hear he bought a lawnmower today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an undertaking! Good grief...really didn't like the white walls, did you? I do admire Steve...ceilings are quite annoying and painful after the fact....enjoy the happy homemaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. man I wish I was there to help. I'm tall

    ReplyDelete